This position will perform a variety of technical work in the programming, testing, installation and maintenance of computer systems; and to operate computer equipment as required.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Write, modify, test and debug new and existing computer programs; analyze problems and make modifications to systems and individual programs to meet customer needs or systems design changes; maintain assigned systems.
- Develop solutions to problems in order to meet customer needs; communicate with customers, in-house staff and vendors regarding system and customer needs.
- Prepare documentation for new programs and changes to existing systems.
- May work directly with customers to identify needs; design and write computer programs based on system and customer needs as assigned.
- Assist the customer with implementation of new and existing computer systems; assist with or provide customer training.
Programmer Analyst Trainee
Requires six (6) months of programming experience or a Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Computer Programming.
Requires one (1) year of computer programming and/or systems analysis experience.
Candidates must have the minimum amount of work experience. Years of experience are based upon a full-time work schedule (2,080 hours per year). The sum of an applicant’s full-time and/or part-time qualifying work experience must meet or exceed the stated minimum qualification. Education will not substitute for the required work experience; however, related unpaid and/or volunteer work experience may be used as qualifying work experience.
Requires the equivalent to an associate degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in computer science, technology, business, or a degree related to the core functions of this position. A combination of certifications relating to computer programming, development applications, and / or report writing tools may be substituted for the associate degree. Substitution will be determined based upon the certification(s) relatedness to current City of Tempe programming needs.
The term “equivalent” means that directly related work experience exceeding the required work experience will substitute in equal time increments for college-level education, for example: one year of additional directly related work experience will substitute for one year of college education (30 credit hours).